6/12/2015

5 Questions for Franklin Graham about Wells Fargo



Dear Mr. Franklin Graham,

I am a "born-again" Evangelical Christian.  I currently attend one of the largest Southern Baptist churches in the country (Elevation Church).  I am a Bible college graduate of Lee University, and also attended a seminary that your father is affiliated with, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, in Charlotte, NC.  Needless to say, I think we share a lot of similar beliefs and values.

I am also a Wells Fargo Employee.

And in light of your recent social commentary on Facebook, and boycotting of the bank I work for, as a Christian, I have several questions I would like to ask you:

  1. On what Biblical basis do you believe Christians should boycott a business?  I've read the Bible quite a few times, and I'm drawing a blank on where this idea was ever advocated by Jesus or His twelve apostles.  I'm not so sure this idea of yours is distinctly Christian, and part of the faith once and for all handed down to the saints.  Perhaps you could show me a chapter or verse?
  2. Since you believe that God has called you to bank with BB&T instead of Wells Fargo, do you believe that as a Christian that I should resign my job with Wells Fargo, and seek other employment opportunities?  If so, would the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association be willing to hire me and all other Christians who resign from Wells Fargo, and be willing to pay us similar pay and benefits?
  3. In the Bible, Jesus was frequently seen eating with some pretty notorious bankers in His day.  The religious leaders back then objected to this practice.  They thought Jesus should refuse their company.  My question to you is simple.  Are you willing to tell me that while Jesus was willing to fellowship and have a communal meal with these bankers, that He would also simultaneously refuse to bank with them out worry over what they are doing with His money?
  4. In your USA Today article, you said you think businesses such as banks should be "gay-friendly" and that "Being gay-friendly is not optional: it is a commandment from Jesus."  However, you never exactly define how a bank such as Wells Fargo (or BB&T) should be gay-friendly.  In my mind, such would be inclusive of targeting gay customers in ways that appeal to gay customers (such as advertising), and telling them how we have the best financial products and services in the country, and that we can help them achieve their long-term financial goals.  What did you specifically have in mind as an alternative to this? In what ways should BB&T be gay-friendly, and market their financial services and products to gay customers?  What would be an acceptable practice to you?  
  5. What exactly is the ethical difference between BB&T sponsoring a local Miami gay pride event, and Wells Fargo running a national TV commercial, besides the size of the reach of the intended audience?  It would seem BB&T was giving money directly to an organization to help them further their agenda, whereas Wells Fargo's TV commercial is a 30 second spot appealing to a segment of the population that the bank ultimately hopes to have as a customer.  If anybody has sinned in all of this, it seems BB&T has committed the bigger sin, by directly giving money to an organization you oppose in order to directly sponsor them.  Wells Fargo's TV commercial seems to simply be asking gay couples to come bank with us.  What's the harm in that?  Shouldn't a gay-friendly bank do just that?

I would love to talk to you about these matters further should you have the time.  And I would love it if you would ever consider banking with Wells Fargo again some day.  I truly believe the company I work for to be a great bank, and I enjoy working for them, and using them to meet some of my financial needs as a consumer.  Indeed, I believe God placed me at Wells Fargo, and has called me to work for them.  I would love to share that story with you some day if you ever have the time.

God bless,

Jimmy

(Disclaimer: I am a Wells Fargo employee. I also own a very small amount of Wells Fargo stock.  The personal opinions I have set forth in this letter are entirely mine, and in no way reflect the opinions of Wells Fargo.  They are questions of a religious nature.)

No comments:

Post a Comment