3/16/2015

Reasons Why I Don't Believe In God



I don't believe in God because of philosophical speculation.

I don't believe in God because of scientific evidence.

I don't believe in God because of historical proof of Biblical events.

I don't believe in God because I've done a comparative study of all the worlds major religions and made a determination that one of them is most likely right.

Indeed, philosophical speculation about the existence of God turns up to be a vain excercise of the mind, that while healthy, is like trying to get somewhere while running on a treadmill. 

Scientific evidence is entirely lacking, as God cannot be observed under a microscope.  

The historicity of many major events in the Bible can easily be doubted, and the archaeological evidence thus far is bit underwhelming.

And comparing all the major world religions and making a determination as to which is best, is the equivalent of choosing Pepsi over Coke.

And yet in spite of saying all the aforementioned things that give me little to no reason to believe in God, I still find myself entirely convinced that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that He was bodily raised from the dead, three days after having been crucified under Pontius Pilate.

Why do I believe this?

Because years ago, as I was a teenager sitting in a church, I heard the Gospel message preached for the first time, and suddenly, it felt like Jesus Christ was real to me.  And from that moment in time, through all my struggles over the things of the faith, I've continued to sense the reality of Him in my every day life.  There hasn't been a day since then that has gone by where I wasn't aware that Jesus Christ is Lord, and that He is alive and well.

I believe Jesus Christ is alive, because I believe it pleased Himself to reveal Himself alive in me (Galatians 1:15-16). Nothing more, and nothing less.

While I believe all the aforementioned disciplines of study yield some very interesting results and some insights into things about God, they aren't enough to compel me to be a Christian.  At the end of the day, I am a Christian because I believe God Himself made me one.  And truth be told, you nor anybody else in the universe has ever become one except God made you a Christian too.

This is my apologetic.  It should become yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment